VILLAGE COUNCIL ELECTIONS
The Village of Martin's Additions is governed by a municipal Charter that provides for a five-member Council elected by VMA residents. The Council election is normally held between March 1 and May 15 each year, in accordance with the Charter, and members are elected to two-year terms that begin on July 1. The number of seats open on the Council alternates two seats one year and three seats the next. Any qualified voter  may nominate another qualified voter or may declare his or her own candidacy.In order to manage each year's election, the Council appoints resident-volunteers to an Election Committee. The committee operates under the rules and procedures adopted by the Council (Policy 2019-12-2) and in accordance with Sections 408 and 602 of the Village Charter. For more information about the committee, see the Election Committee webpage.
VILLAGE OF MARTIN’S ADDITIONS 2022 COUNCIL ELECTION
BALLOT MARKING AND MAILING INSTRUCTIONS
In the coming weeks, you will receive your mail-in ballot for the 2022 Village Council Election. The ballot envelope will look like this:
There will be no in-person voting. Please read the following instructions carefully.
- Mark your ballot with a single blue or black ink pen.
- To Vote: Completely fill in the box to the left of your candidate selection(s) or the write-in line. If writing-in, you must also write the person’s name on the corresponding line.
- Vote for a TOTAL of up to THREE (3) people. A write-in counts as a vote. If you vote for more than three people in total, your ballot will be disqualified.
- Please do not put your name, initials, or any other identifying information on the ballot.
- Place your completed ballot in the small envelope labeled “Secret Ballot Envelope” and seal it. Do not write on this envelope. You must use the secret ballot envelope to ensure ballot privacy. Insert the sealed secret ballot envelope containing your marked ballot into the pre-addressed and postage-paid return envelope and seal it. Be sure to use the official return envelope provided by the election contractor.
- Sign and date the Affidavit on the back of the return envelope. You must sign the Affidavit, to have your ballot counted.
- Mail your ballot. Your ballot return envelope must be received by ELECTEC Election Services, Inc., our election contractor, by 5:00 PM on May 23, 2022.
- Consider mail transit times when mailing your return envelope so that it will arrive on prior to the deadline.
- Between 5 and 8 PM on Tuesday May 10, you can also come to the VMA Election Committee table in front of the shops on Brookville Road. The Election Committee will have a supervised election box where you can put your signed, sealed return envelope. The Committee will send the sealed envelopes to the contractor that evening
- Please DON’T take your ballot return envelope to the Village Office. Contact the VMA Election Committee if you need help to mail your ballot.
- For more information about the candidates and this year’s election, please see the VMA Election Information Packet, visit https://martinsadditions.org/governance/village_council_elections/, or refer to the most recent issue of Martin's Edition, the Village’s monthly newsletter.
- The number in the lower-left corner of the return envelope will be used by ELECTEC for sorting ballots and preventing duplicate envelopes. Your vote will remain secret because the inner privacy envelope containing your ballot will be separated from the return envelope and mixed with the other sealed ballot privacy envelopes before they are opened and the votes are counted.