VILLAGE COUNCIL ELECTIONS
The Village of Martin's Additions is governed by a municipal Charter that provides for a five-member Council elected by VMA residents. The Council election is normally held between March 1 and May 15 each year, in accordance with the Charter, and members are elected to two-year terms that begin on July 1. The number of seats open on the Council alternates two seats one year and three seats the next. Any qualified voter  may nominate another qualified voter or may declare his or her own candidacy.In order to manage each year's election, the Council appoints resident-volunteers to an Election Committee. The committee operates under the rules and procedures adopted by the Council (Policy 2019-12-2) and in accordance with Sections 408 and 602 of the Village Charter. For more information about the committee, see the Election Committee webpage.
Dear Village of Martin’s Additions Qualified Voters,
This is your official Village of Martin’s Additions (Village) Election Notice. With it, the Election Committee continues to fulfill its role under the Village Charter, specifically “the Election Committee shall give notice of the nominations together with related candidate statements and designate the voting method, conduct, or system of the election and any associated date(s) and time(s).” This notice will remain on the Village website for reference from now through the election.
2021 Candidates for Council – There are six (6) candidates running for two (2) open seats. They appear below in alphabetical order. Their Candidate Statements are provided as submitted to the Committee via link (click their names) and enclosed for those who have chosen to receive Martin’s Edition, the Village’s monthly newsletter, by mail.
- Alex Ghesquiere (Bradley Lane)
- Katie Filipczyk Howard (Taylor Street)
- Andrew Kauders (Turner Lane)
- Marty Langelan (Chestnut Street)
- Brian Oliver (Delfield Street)
- Larry Wasson (Delfield Street)
The Village staff will email call-in and log-in information nearer to the forum like what is done for monthly meetings. Audio of the forum will be posted on the Village website following the forum.
100% Mail-In Election Details for 2021 – As a reminder, although May 13, 2021 is our official “election date,” the Village will conduct the 2021 Council Election entirely by mail, as was done last year.
- Starting approximately mid-April, ballots will arrive by mail. Each qualified voter’s ballot will be sent to the name and address that appears on the VMA qualified voter roll. Each qualified voter will receive a ballot in a separate envelope addressed to him/her.
- If you're not sure whether you're listed on the VMA qualified voter roll, please contact the Village Office by calling 301-656-4112 or emailing email@example.com. You must be on the VMA voter roll by 5:00 PM on May 6, 2021 to receive a ballot.
- If you'd like to have your ballot mailed to you at a location other than your home address in Martin's Additions, please contact the Village Office at 301-656-4112 or firstname.lastname@example.org by 5:00 PM on May 6, 2021.
- When you receive it, the mailing will contain your ballot; instructions on how to fill out the ballot and return it; an envelope for the ballot to be sealed in upon completion; and a postage-paid return envelope to mail it back to the vendor. YOU MUST MAIL YOUR BALLOT BACK IN THIS ENVELOPE.
- If you lose your ballot, did not receive a ballot or received a damaged ballot, please contact the Village Office immediately so that another ballot can be mailed to you by the vendor. To receive a new ballot, you must contact the Village Office by 5:00 PM May 6, 2021 by calling 301-656-4112 or emailing email@example.com.
- This year, Village qualified voters will elect two (2) of the Council's five (5) members, each to serve for a two-year term. Vote for a TOTAL of up to TWO (2) people. There will be space for write-in names on the ballot. A write-in counts as a vote. If you vote for more than two people, your ballot will be disqualified.
- All ballots must be postmarked by May 13, 2021 and/or received by the vendor by May 20, 2021 at 5:00 PM. Of note, qualified voters are encouraged to mail their ballots as soon as possible to avoid any postal delays.
- We will announce the 2021 Council election results as soon as possible following the May 20, 2021 "received by" date.
- We appreciate the candidates’ interest in being elected to serve at this time on our municipal government’s 5-member Council and look forward to a great election this year!
The VMA Elections Committee
Tiffany Cissna, George McAleese, and Anna Meenan