Snow Removal and Winter Emergencies
The Village maintains all streets within its boundaries, including clearing the Village streets of seasonal snow and ice. The Village arranges with an independent contractor to provide snow plowing.
Village regulations require residents to clear snow and ice from the sidewalks in front of their property within 24 hours after a storm ceases, making sidewalks safe for pedestrians. Residents of corner lots are responsible for sidewalks in the front and on the side of their property. Fines may be assessed for non-compliance with Village regulations.
According to Section 8-107 of the Village Code, VMA may close certain sections of the Village during a snow emergency. For example:
- It shall be unlawful for any vehicle to be parked and left unattended in the roadway or any portion of a roadway that has been designated as a snow emergency route.
- It shall be unlawful for a vehicle to be parked in violation of "Snow Emergency Route" signs.
- Any vehicle parked and left unattended on a snow emergency route in violation of this section may be impounded by the Village or its agents, and all costs of towing and storage shall be paid before the owner may reclaim the vehicle.
Please park in driveways wherever possible and adhere to the posted temporary parking restrictions.
Be alert to "no parking for snow emergency" signs; VMA needs to plow the streets.
- If you want to keep up to date with news alerts from Montgomery County, subscribe to Alert Montgomery to receive automated emergency notifications: http://montgomerycountymd.gov/OEMHS/AlertMontgomery/index.html
- If you have an interruption in utility service, emergency contact numbers follow:
- If you lose power, contact PEPCO at this link or 877-737-2662;
- If you lose water, contact WSSC at this link or 301-206-4002;
- If you smell gas, call 911, then contact Washington Gas at this link or 800-752-7520;
- If you have an emergency requiring firefighters, police, or an ambulance, call 911
- For Montgomery County Non-emergency issues, call 301-279-8000.